Found this recipe from New Idea's Wedding Special column, the pretty hearts with translucent lolly in the middle tempted me to make some myself. I was squatting by the oven staring at those slowly melting away lollies like a hawk. Baked shortbread before but this is first time for me to use lollies in baking. Very excited when I saw the end product... so beautiful! Valentine's Day is round the corner, why not make some for your special one?
Ingredients (70 pcs):
250gm unsalted butter
½ cup caster sugar
2 ½ cups plain flour
½ cup rice flour
90 clear coloured boiled lollies (some for standby)
- Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add sifted flours and mix well to form soft dough. Divide dough into half. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Roll half of dough between two sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Cut out heart shapes using a 7cm cutter. Place hearts about 3 cm apart on baking tray lined with baking paper. Using a 4cm cutter, cut another heart from centre of each heart.
- Re-roll hearts cut out with remaining dough.
- Bake for 5 minutes then place a boiled lolly in the centre of each heart. Bake for another 5 minutes or until lollies are melted and shortbread are lightly browned.
- Transfer the cookies together with baking paper onto a tray, cool on tray completely.