Goma Tantan Men

Finally got the chance to try out this Japanese style 芝麻担担面. Usually I cook 担担面 without the sesame paste but sprinkle some toasted sesames on the top. Tak loved the sesame paste very much he asked me to prepare more next time. To me, the soup (I had mine with boiled cauliflower instead of noodles) tasted good but can be improved. Prehaps next time I would use homemade stock. Btw, the recipe is available here.


* * *

Updated on 17 May 2007

This recipe is adapted from Ringo's Goma Tantan Men


Ingredients (4 servings):
Noodles (enough for 4 servings)
6 cups chicken stock

Sesame Paste
6 tbsp white sesame, toasted
3 tbsp soy sauce (Japanese brand)
2 tbsp castor sugar
2 tbsp chilli oil
1 tbsp chopped ginger
1 tbsp chopped green onion

Topping
200g beef mince
100g chicken mince
1 tbsp spicy bean paste
2 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp chilli oil
3 tbsp cooking oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp chopped ginger
3 tbsp chopped green onion

Garnish
3 tbsp black sesame, toasted and crushed lightly
Fine strips of green onion (white part), rinsed and drained
Green leafy vegetable, lightly boiled


Directions:

  1. Sesame paste - Crush and grind toasted sesame with mortar and pestle. Add in all other ingredients and mix well to form smooth paste. Set aside for later use.
  2. Topping - Heat oil in wok and stir fry the mince almost done. Add in hot bean paste, chilli oil and soy sauce, and mix well. Stir in garlic, ginger and green onion then cook until the sauce is reduced. Set aside.
  3. Soup – In a medium pot, bring stock to boil.
  4. Assemble – Place a tablespoon full of sesame paste in a serving bowl and add in enough soup and noodles. Top with mince topping and garnish with green onion strips and lightly boiled vegetable. Sprinkle some black sesame on the top.

Comments

  1. looks so yummy :-)
    actually I prefer using homemade chicken broth better than those instant seasoning. I always use chicken bone with vege leftover like negi, ginger's skin, apple skin, carrot skin etc.

    Lydia, if you have any delicouse receipe for broth, please share :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hani,

    That's the only comment from Tak too, he prefers thicker soup. Today I cooked in hurry so I used bacon and dashi for the soup.

    I usually use mixture of chicken and pork bones (perhaps you can change to oxtail etc), potato, carrot and cabbage to make broth. Sometimes I also drop in some bacon pieces. Boil with small amount of water, make it concentrate and dilute with water when want to use it. The thick soup is good for ramen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also made Jap dan dan noodles today!!! Will be a while before it appears in my blog coz I just eaten that noodles for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried Tan Tan Ramen for the first time a couple weeks ago and loved it. All this time I thought I was having good ramen, but this one is really good. I didn't realized how sheltered I was from good ramen. Is there any chance of translating the recipe to english? If it's too much work to translate, that's fine. Thanks...lance

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tigerfish, sounds like we got "link" hehe... sometimes we cook the same dish or ingredients.

    Hi Lance,
    I will translate the recipe for you later in the afternoon... good recipe is to share. :D I love this recipe too and I am planning to cook it again with homemade noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haiz, think I misunderstood about dan dan noodles liow! The key ingredient is sesame right? I did not put sesame in my noodles, so it does not fit to be called dan dan noodles. Now, I need to find a name for my noodles :O
    Looks like will be a very delayed post till I find a suitable name for my "mistaken identity" dan dan mian :O

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much for taking the time to translate and post the recipe. -lance

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)