This recipe and photograph were stolen and published on Shin Min Daily News on the 16 of July 2008, read more here.
四大天王 (Four Kings) has recently gained its popularity in Chinese restaurants. It contains four types of most popular beans namely okra, snake bean (aka long bean), winged bean and petai. I managed to get only three "kings" tonight, it is like short of a player for the mahjang games. However, when those three kings met with sambal and the fresh squid fished by my brother in-law.... no one could resist!
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 1 cup chopped Long Beans
- 1 cup chopped Winged Bean
- 1 cup chopped Okra (aka lady's fingers)
- Handful Petai
- Squid or prawn (optional)
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3-4 tbsp Sambal
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in wok or non-stick pan. Stir in garlic and saute until its aroma is released.
- Add in all "beans" and stir-fry for about 1 minute. Then, stir in squid or prawn.
- Once the squid is curled up, stir in sambal and add salt to taste.
- Stir-fry till the moist is reduced. Dish out and garnish with chopped red chillies (optional).