This is my first attempt at baking layered cake, it was not difficult but time consuming. If there is another attempt at layered cake, I would make each layer thinner, means longer baking time.
I thought it was my last durian recipe to conclude series of durian experiments in this season but T bought few durians yesterday... what should I do with it next?
If you have tons of durian, check out my other durian recipes too!
Ingredients (8" x 8"):
10 Egg Yolks
1 tsp Durian Essence
1 cup Durian Puree (+/-)
200g All-Purpose Flour
50g Corn Flour
7 Egg Whites
- Grease and line the bottom of a 8" x 8" baking pan. Preheat oven to 200degC (upper heat only).
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light. Add in egg yolks and continue to cream until smooth and fluffy.
- Add in durian essence, puree and milk, and stir until well blended. Sift and fold in flours until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until foamy then add in sugar gradually while beating. Continue to beat until stiff. Stir it into the batter and mix until well combined.
- Spoon about 100g of the batter into the baking pan and spread it evenly. Place it in the middle of the oven and bake until golden brown.
- Remove it from the oven, use a fork to prick some holes on the cake. Then spoon another 100g of the batter onto the baked layer and spread evenly. Bake until golden brown. Repeat this step until all of the batter is used up.
- Remove the cake from oven, invert and cool on rack.
Note: I scaled down this recipe to 8 yolks ( I had only 8 eggs left) so my cake was thinner than it should be.
(updated on 16 Sept 2008)