Tri-colour Steamed Eggs (蒸三色蛋)

Tri Colour Steamed Egg

Egg dish again, I cooked lot of egg dishes recently. I love egg in all sort of cooking and I use them quite a lot in my cooking. I think this is partially inherited from my mom, she liked to stir-fry vegetables with omelette instead of meat or seafood. Simply because we were not-so-rich in the past, and we had free supply of eggs from our backyard chicken barn.

I learnt an easy way of steaming egg when staying at my sis' place last month. She cooked steamed egg in rice cooker when cooking rice. What she did was placing a shallow bowl containing egg mixture directly onto steamed rice and covered the lid until the egg was cooked. I tried her method last night. When the rice was almost done, all water was aborbed but still on cook mode, I added steamer (comes with the rice cooker) with eggs and closed the lid. I added some mince in the egg mixture so let those "cuppies" stayed in the rice cooker on keep warm mode till dinner time.

For this steamed eggs, I prefer firmer custard compare to chawanmushi. Hence, I used 75ml of dashi stock for each egg. The amount of liquid can be adjusted according to the texture of the custard desired.

Tri Colour Steamed Egg

Ingredients (5-6 cuppies size):

  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 75ml dashi stock (or water/chicken/vegetable stock)
  • 1 salted egg yolk, cut into 6 pieces
  • 1 century egg, cut into desired size
  • 1 tbsp mince (I used pork mince)
  • Pinch of salt
  • Sesame oil (optional)
  • Coriander for garnish

Methods:

  1. In a medium mixing bowl, bring together beaten egg, stock, mince and salt. Stir gently to mix.
  2. Grease six tart moulds with sesame oil if desired, then fill each mould with one tablespoon of mixture.
  3. Arrage or simply drop few pieces of century egg and a piece of salted egg yolk in each mould, then top up with egg mixture.
  4. Steam over low heat for about 10 minutes or you may try the rice cooker methods. Garnish and serve warm.

Read tips for making perfect steamed custurd posted here.

Comments

  1. oh dear, I am so jealous with your natural lighting. during winter time like now I have to shoot with my desk lamp:(

    good looking eggs btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dwiana:
    Don't be jealous... the sky is fair. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look yummy. I love chawanmushi-style custards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Y:
    Thanks, I hope you like this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of all time favourite dish:D Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)