Vinegar Pork Trotter / 猪脚醋

Vinegar Pork was first introduced to T during my confinement month early this year. He ate more than me. I was happy that he finished all those fatty parts. I cooked it upon T's request actually. He kept thinking of the superlicious vinegar pork we had at my sis place two weeks ago. His craving for food is like an expecting mom!

I served it in a small claypot over a portable stove during dinner. T just loved it. I gave our little sumo a sip of the soup, he was like going to throw up! Funny expression. Surprisingly, he did not refuse the second sip. If you are new to this dish, it is one of the typical confinement dishes offer to new mommies among Chinese community.

* * *

This is scheduled post, I am on holiday... yooohooo!

# # # # # recipe updated on 18 Dec 2008 # # # # #

Ingredients (4 servings):

  • 1 kg pork trotter, chopped into serving size
  • 350g ginger, washed and crushed
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled
  • 2 tbsp sesame oil or cooking oil
  • 2-3 cups water
  • 2 cup black vinegar
  • ½ cup brown/palm sugar (adjust the amount to taste)

Methods:

  1. Heat oil in a large pot, stir in garlic and ginger. Saute until fragant.
  2. Add in the pork trotter, stir-fry to sear all side if possible. Add in the water and bring to boil.
  3. When it starts to boil, add in the hard boiled eggs and vinegar. Bring to a boil then add in the brown sugar.
  4. Let it simmer for an hour or so, add salt to taste and let it simmer for futher 10 minutes. Serve warm with steamed rice.

Notes:

  • Boil the pork trotter for a few minutes before cooking to remove blood and dirts.
  • If you like more ginger taste, add more ginger. My mom cooked it with lots of gingers!
  • Add brown sugar in batches so you can control the sweetness, some people may not like it too sweet.

Comments

  1. I love this dish, Lydia!! Especially the hard boiled eggs... aiyaya, just a bowl of boiled rice will do for me :)
    Have a wonderful holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have the egg first, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leemei:
    Actually I am not a big fan of this dish but T loves it. I'm glad that he loves all those "real chinese" dishes. :D
    Thanks. We jalan2 Malaysia quite a bit recently.

    tigerfish:
    Please don't fight for egg!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remembered I eat this quite alot during my confinement. But I dont like it actually.
    I might ok with the soup, but not the meat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it simply looks delicious!

    can we have the recipe plssssssss...

    thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joanne:
    It's ok for me once a while, didn't like it during confinement, my mom cooked so many times! Luckily T loved it. :D

    Anonymous:
    Recipe updated, happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)