First savoury muffin in my life! My intention was to make some rooms in my tinny fridge, stock clearing especially a pack of bacon bites I opened few days ago. I thought the fridge I chose was the big one, it is getting smaller everyday as I am stuffing it with goodies as if I am feeding a family of ten! I guess next time (soon?) we should purchase the biggest fridge!
T and I had never tasted savoury muffin before, so our first bite was like "um... uh... ok, it is muffin" as in our mind has the set definition of muffin - sweet. Second bite - it tasted not bad at all. Third bite - I want more! Now I have lots of crazy savoury muffin ideas in my mind, going to put all those odd ingredients together in my next muffin!
Ingredients (6-8 pcs):
1 tsp sugar
1 cup self-raising flour
1 tbsp corn flour
¼ cup corn kernel
¼ cup milk
¼ cup pizza cheese (optional, I topped mine with sliced cheese)
1 tsp dried parsley
pinch of salt
½ cup chopped bacon (remove fats)
2 tbsp cooking oil
pinch of ground pepper
- Heat cooking oil in pan, stir fry bacon and onion for 2-3 minutes. Season with pepper, turn off the heat and allow to cool down completely.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC and line muffin tins with paper cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg together with sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add in bacon mixture and stir well.
- Sift together flours and salt, and fold into egg mixture in batches alternate with milk.
- Stir in corn kernek, cheese and parsley. Fill each muffin case with batter and bake for 20 minutes. Cool on rack.