CNYB Part IV: Kuih Bangkit / 薯粉饼

Kuih Bangkit

Kuih Bangkit - a melt in the mouth cookie made with tapioca flour and coconut milk. It is one of the must have cookies during Chinese New Year in Malaysia. Traditionally, this cookie is shaped using a wooden mould with shell or animal shapes by pressing a small ball of dough into the mould then turn it out onto a baking tray. My modern cookie is made by rolling out the dough then cut with cookies cutter.


I baked this cookie at my mom's place, thanks CMG for letting me know the oven temperature and baking time. I made some with pink colour for mom, she likes pink and red for CNY goodies... typical Chinese thinking. Actually this is my second batch of kuih bangkit. I used different recipe for the first batch, which called for less amount of egg yolk and the result was not as good as I expected. I tried another recipe this batch, the result was promising - melt in the mouth.

CNYB: Kuih Bangkit

  • Recipe source: My Island Penang
  • Visit link for methods using kuih bangkit mould and useful tips.

Ingredients:

  • 350g tapioca flour, pan-fried with scew pine leaves and cooled
  • 5 screw pine leaves (pandan), washed and cut into 2" long
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 140g caster sugar
  • 150ml concentrate coconut milk (pati santan, I used those in the box)
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • Red food colouring (optional)

Methods:

  1. Sift flour together with salt. Divide flour into two portions, 270g and 80g. Set aside 80g for dusting purpose.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar till pale and fluffy then add in oil.
  3. Add in flour mixture (270g) in batches, alternate with coconut milk added with food colouring (if using). Knead briefly to form soft dough.
  4. Lightly dust the dough, then roll it out in between two sheets of plastic to about 1cm in thickness.
  5. Cut rolled dough with cookies cutter (≤ 3cm in diameter) and arrange shaped dough onto tray dusted with flour.
  6. Preheat oven at 170ºC and bake cookies for 15 to 20 minutes or until cookies are browned lightly at edges. Adjust the baking time if using smaller cookies cutter.
  7. Cool completely before storing in airtight container.

Comments

  1. Those look really interesting! Are the ingredients usually available at Asian markets in the US?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aleta,

    I think all ingredients except screw pine leaves are availbale at Asian market. Used to lived in Sydney, was able to find tapioca flour and coconut milk at all Asian markets there. As for screw pine leave, only available at particular Asian markets. Don't worry about the screw pine leave if you can't find it, add a few drop of vanilla essense into coconut milk will do the trick.

    Btw, screw pine leaves are for its fragrance. In some cooking/baking, we do use the juice/extract of this leaf for both its fragrance and colour.

    Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, this looks really yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Tapioca flour and coconut milk are two things always found in my pantry! I will be trying out this recipe tonight! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I will like to try this recipe but I can't find where I use the pandan leaves in the recipe. Hope to hear from you soon so that I can give this a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kuih Bangkit!!! Yes... melt in the mouth ... yum.. I want to make this. But I dont know what kind of mould I could use..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sara:
    Thanks for dropped by, tried kuih bangkit before?

    Candyce:
    How's your kuih bangkit? Like it?

    Mrs Ergül:
    The pandan leaves are to be pan-fried together with tapioca flour, as stated at the ingredients part.
    Happy baking!

    Leemei:
    Try with small cookies cutter if you don't have bangkit mould. Or perhaps you can try making small dough balls then flaten them with a fork instead of using cookies cutter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so colorful!! nicely done! I remember my grandma uses wooden mould to make kuih bangkit and we have to help her to put the red dot on the animal eyes...wish I learn from her..

    ReplyDelete
  9. selamat thn baru cina, lydia?.. u dah pindah ke?..byk tak john collec angpau thn ni???

    ReplyDelete
  10. this recipe looked amazing! I just tried it but had no sucess with it. the dough batter was really watery. I couldn't form a ball :( Any suggestions? Can you email me :) Thanks. I really want to make it again

    ReplyDelete
  11. My first time seeing pink kuih bangkit ;p

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beachlover,
    Lucky you, have those precious childhood. I was not close with my granny even though we lived nearby.

    Yati,
    Thanks. Belum pindah lagi, lagi 1 minggu or so. Tahun pertama si John dpt angpao, taklah banyak sgt tapi semua isinya besar2, jeles mama. :D

    cakewardrobe,
    My dough was ok. Try to add more tapioca flour or reduce the amount of coconut milk (or add a little at a time) next time. Also, check out the Penang site for tips. All the best!

    tigerfish,
    Pinkish good luck! :D Next time make it rainbow colour, just bought blue and yellow food colouring.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)