I am a busy stay-at-home mom, but I am not sure what I have been busying with? Other SAHMs share the same feeling too? John is not a demanding child, but he is always attached to me. Basically, my only free time (time for myself) is his afternoon nap time. If I want to have extra me time, I would have to sacrifice my sleep time at night. Well, not too much of my rambling else I will become a grumpy young lady (still young ya :D) real soon.
We supposed to have a mahjong gathering today but it is canceled. This is one of the dishes I planned to bring to the gathering. Guys, you missed out a lot! I have not made this dumpling for long, more than two years if I remember correctly. T's requirements for mahjong's finger food are something that is easy to grab and eat, and able to pair with beer or wine. This is a prefect snack or light meal during mahjong games.
I am not sure if it can be found in dim sum restaurants (not available in dim sum restaurants I visited before), but I would definitely consider it as a dim sum dish. It is called pearl dumpling/ball in Chinese as its appearance and colour resemble a pearl.
Some recipes called for egg white, I personally like the one without egg white. The latter produces finer and softer texture. Also, I like to add pinch of sugar in the marinade. This will help to maintain the freshness of the mince.
Ingredients (makes 6-8 pieces):
70g glutinous rice, rinsed, soaked for 3-4 hours, drained
200g minced pork
1 shiitake mushroom, chopped finely
2 stalks spring onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2-3 slices ginger, chopped
1 tbsp corn flour
2 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp shaoxing cooking wine (optional)
Pinch of ground white pepper
Pinch of sugar
Salt to taste
- Place all ingredients, except glutinous rice, in a mixing bowl. Mix with chopsticks or fingers in the same direction. Mix well. Marinate for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat steamer and line steamer basket with a leaf of cabbage.
- Divide and shape mixture into 6 (or more/less depending on desired size) equal size balls.
- Roll mince balls in glutinous rice to coat.
- Arrange coated balls in steamer basket and steam in preheated steamer for 10 to 12 minutes.