Is pumpkin in season now? Fresh pumpkins are only selling at RM 1.29 per kg now at nearest hypermarket. Bought one whole pumpkin last week and this week too. Our little boy has started taking solid food, he loved mashed pumpkin with some milk and rice cereal. Made some frozen baby food, then cooked the rest for big boys and myself.
This is actually my mom's style braised pumpkin, but I added black fungus and butter for a change. The idea is from braised yam cooked black fungus, why not adding it in this dish too? Glad that I tried it, found another way to eat black fungus! Black fungus itself has little or no taste, but when eat together with creamy and buttery pumpkin it is simply... so good!
300g Pumpkin, peeled and chopped into chunks
10g Dried shrimp, soaked and drained (keep the water)
10g Black fungus, soaked and cleaned
1 tbsp Cooking oil
1-2 clove Garlic, chopped
1 bulb shallot, chopped
1 cup Water (water for soaking dried shrimp + water to make 1 cup)
1 tbsp butter
Salt to taste
Green for garnish
- Heat oil in wok, stir-fry dried shrimp until it is browned lightly.
- Stir in garlic, shallot and pumpkin. Cook for 1-2 minutes or pumpkin has caramelised on the edges.
- Add in black fungus and cook for further 1 minute.
- Add in water, bring to boil then add salt to taste.
- Turn the heat down, let it simmer with cover until all liquid is absorbed.
Add in butter, mix well. Ready to serve.
- Add water in batches if cooking less amount of pumpkin, too much water will ended up with pumpkin paste or puree.
- Add more black fungus if desired. I will definitely add more next time.
- Peel the pumpkin briefly if only adults are eating. Peel has more flavour and nutrients.