Thought of making popcorn long time ago and it finally realised today. When the corn kernels were about to pop, John got a chair near the stove checking out what was cooking. He was amazed watching the corn kernels popping and slowly filled the pot. While I was shooting these photos, John kept telling little brother "di di, pop... pop... pop..." excitedly. Too bad that his little brother is still too young to give him a response.
This is an easy and healthy snack to make at home with children. Corn kernels took less than 5 minutes to pop and another 2-3 minutes for making caramel coating, so easy to make popcorn from scratch! I think I would not go for the microwave type popcorn anymore.
Ingredients (2 servings):
50g Corn Kernels
1tbsp Vegetable Oil (I use sunflower oil)
Pinch of salt
50g Castor Sugar
**Prepare more caramel if prefer very sweet popcorn.
- For making popcorn, heat oil in a pan (I prefer pan with glass lid) on medium heat.
- Add in kernels with a pinch of salt, put the lid on then swirl the pan a bit to make sure all kernels are coated with oil and spread out in an even layer.
- Remove from heat for 30 seconds then return to stove. This will help the heat to distribute evenly and kernels will pop almost at the same time.
- Once the popping sound has ceased, remove from heat immediately and transfer popcorn into a large mixing bowl.
- In a saucepan, cook sugar with butter until all sugar is dissolved.
- Drizzle caramel over popcorn and use a spatula to stir the popcorn rapidly to coat.