There are few variations of nyonya dumpling on the internet, does anyone know the reason? Some called for chestnut, peanut and coconut milk. I decided to try on the simple recipe for my first attempt. If you need pictorial guide on how to wrap a dumpling, check out my previous post about bak chang.
Ingredients makes (±20 pcs):
1 kg Pork Belly, diced
10 nos Dried Shiitake Mushroom, soaked and diced (reserve the water)
200 g Dried Winter Melon, chopped
100 g Shallot Bulbs, sliced
5-6 cloves Garlic, chopped
2 nos Dried Chilli, soaked and pounded
2 tbsp Coriander Powder (add more if desired)
1 tsp Five-spice Powder
1 tsp Ground White Pepper
1 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
¼ cup Cooking Oil**
Salt to taste
1 kg Glutinous Rice, rinsed and soaked overnight or at least 4 hours
1 tbsp Colouring (made with blue pea flowers)
1 tbsp Shallot & Garlic Oil**
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Chicken Powder (I used dashi)
½ cup Water
10 pcs Pandan Leaves
String for tying
- Drain and transfer ¼ amount of glutinous rice into a mixing bowl, add in colouring and mix well. Set aside.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling. Heat oil in a wok, add in shallot and garlic. Fry until they are browned lightly. Transfer one tablespoon of the oil** into a small bowl, set aside.
- Add in chilli paste and cook for few seconds. Then add in pork and cook until it turns pale in colour. Add in coriander powder, five-spice powder, pepper and dark soy sauce. Stir well.
- Add in mushroom, winter melon, water from soaking mushroom and salt to taste. Cook with low heat until gravy is reduced.
- Transfer to a bowl and cool before use.
- For rice, heat oil** in a wok. Add in the glutinous rice (without colouring) and stir-fry until its colour has changed.
- Dissolve salt and chicken powder in water, drizzle over glutinous rice and stir well. Ready to use.
- Assemble: Please refer to bak chang recipe for detailed wrapping method (with photos) . Fold bamboo leaves and fill in some blue glutinous rice, then about 1 tablespoon of white glutinous rice.
- Make a well in the middle and fill in 2 tablespoons of filling. Cover filling with a heap tablespoon of white glutinous rice. Tie up to make dumpling.
- Boil a large pot of water, add in pandan leaves. Boil and simmer dumplings for 1-2 hours.
- The Nyonya dumpling is traditionally wrapped with pandan leaves, it is hard to find large pandan leaves. Thus, I added pandan leaves when cooking them.
- I made the colouring with 20 petals without mashing them up, need to increase the amount of petals next time.
- Dumplings will taste better with cooked glutious rice, adding some water in it will reduce the cooking time.