My boy kept bugging me for the cake, could not wait till it cooled completely. Soon after I took the cake out from oven, he sniffed it.
John: Mama, cake please.... (sniffing the cake)
Mama: Cake very hot... later.
John: Okay... (with spouting mouth)
Few minutes later, he came to me... "mama, cut... happy birthday, cake...". Then? We sang the birthday song happily and cut the cake. Pretend play with real cake.
4 egg yolks
20gm caster sugar
40gm vegetable cooking oil
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp durian essence (optional)
100gm cake flour (or 85gm all purpose flour + 15gm cornflour)
½ tsp baking powder
4 egg whites
100gm caster sugar
⅛ tsp cream of tartar
½ cup durian flesh, pureed
- Preheat oven to 170 degree C.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together ingredients A until combined.
- Sift together ingredients B, then add into (2) and mix well. Set aside for later use.
- In another large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks. Add in sugar and cream of tartar and continue to beat until stiff.
- Take ¼ of the meringue and mix with (3) until well mixed. Gradually add in remaining meringue, and lastly stir in durian puree. Stir until just combined.
- Transfer batter into chiffon pan and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Invert the cake immediately after taking out from oven, and cool on rack completely before turning out from mould.