J (32 months) liked this rice too. I got him a bowl before photo shooting, he finished it up quietly by himself. I did not add peanuts for his share, worried he might not like it.
Ingredients (makes 2-3 servings:
1 cup glutinous rice
½ cup jasmine rice (long grain)
1½ cup liquid (water from soaking
dried shrimp and oyster )
1 tbsp dried shrimp
Handful dried oyster/muscle/cockle
2 bulbs shallot, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
Pinch of ground white pepper
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Salt to taste
2 tbsp peanuts (with hull), toasted with few drops of cooking oil
- Bring together two types of rice, rinse then soak for three to four hours. Drain.
- Soak dried shrimp and oyster in separate bowl, drain and reserve water. Chop the oysters briefly. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok, stir in shallot and garlic and cook until they are browned lightly. Transfer into a small plate, set aside.
- Use the same wok, stir in shrimp and oyster. Cook for one minute or so then add in rice.
- Continue to cook till the rice turned translucent. Add soy sauces and mix well.
- Add water/liquid, ground cinnamon, pepper and salt to taste.
- Bring to boil then simmer with cover until the rice is cooked.
- Turn the heat off and let rice stay in wok for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Right before serving, add in fried shallot and garlic as well as toasted peanuts. Mix well.