I still remember the very first muffin I baked when I just picked up baking was a vanilla muffin. I was a newbie then always settled for recipes with less ingredients. I did not even know what tepid water was! Perhaps, I can move myself up to Intermediate Level in baking now after five years of baking. Any comments?
Calories: 285 cals/muffin
Ingredients (makes 6 muffins):
1 cup All-purpose Flour, sifted
½ cup Fine Granulated Sugar
1 tsp Baking Powder
¼ tsp Salt (omit salt if using salted butter)
1 no. Large Egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ cup Buttermilk
¼ cup Butter, melted
½ cup Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a muffin tray with paper cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, bring all dry ingredients together EXCEPT chocolate chips and mix well with a whisk.
- Make a well in the centre, add in wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Add in chocolate chips, mix briefly. Transfer batter into muffin cases, 90% full.
- Fill an empty mould half full with water.
- Bake at 200°C for seven minutes, then turn the oven temperature down to 170°C and continue to bake for another 15-18 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
- For buttermilk substitution, mix ½ tbsp white vinegar with enough full cream milk to make ½ cup.
- Higher temperature at the beginning of baking process helps to produce dome top muffins.
- This muffin is quite sweet to me but just nice to T, reduce amount of sugar if desired.