I was not sure what to bake at first until I found two small containers of matcha T bought on his last trip home few months ago. I used my favourite chiffon recipe but lazy to adjust the recipe to suit 9" as a result the cake was a bit short.
4 egg yolks
20gm caster sugar
50gm vegetable cooking oil
¼ tsp salt
100gm cake flour (or 85gm all purpose flour + 15gm cornflour)
2 tbsp matcha powder
½ tsp baking powder
4 egg whites
100gm caster sugar
⅛ tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 170 degree C.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together ingredients A until combined.
- Sift together ingredients B, then add into (2) and mix well. Set aside for later use.
- In another large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks. Add in sugar and cream of tartar and continue to beat until stiff.
- Take ¼ of the meringue and mix with (3) until well mixed. Gradually add in remaining meringue fold in till just combined.
- Transfer batter into chiffon pan and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Invert the cake immediately after taking out from oven, and cool on rack completely before turning out from pan.
For chiffon cake, the meringue does not need to be too stiff, if too stiff the cake will have dry texture.