This time of the year many durian recipes will appear on both Malaysian and Singaporean foodies' blog. I have not tried something new yet, for this rolled cake I combined two existing recipes on My Kitchen. Used T's favourite D14 durian for the cream, he simply loved it.
After first slice, T said he needed only the cream. Meanwhile, little J ate only the cake he tried really hard to scoop out the cream. What a great team they were!
(from Durian Cake)
200 g fresh cream, whipped
250 g fresh durian, pureed (add more if desired)
1 tbsp gelatin powder
50ml water (soak gelatin in water and set aside for 5 minutes)
- Heat gelatin mixture in microwave for 20 seconds, or using double-boil method until gelatin is dissolved fully.
- Add warm gelatin mixture into durian puree, mix until well blended.
- Gently fold in whipped cream, ready to use.
(from Nutella Rolled Cake)
3 nos. large egg, separated
40g cake flour
1 tbsp milk (I used full-cream)
25g butter, melted
Note: This cake is quite thin, adjust recipe to 4 eggs for thicker cake if desired.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line a 30x30 cm baking tray with baking paper, set aside.
- Beat egg whites with medium speed till soft peaks then add in sugar gradually and continue to beat with high speed till stiff peaks.
- Add in egg yolks at once, beat with low speed for 1 minute.
- Add half amount of cake flour, fold in till just combined. Add in milk, fold in briefly then add and fold in the rest of cake flour.
- Stir in melted butter and mix till just blended.
- Transfer to prepared baking tray, smooth out the surface with a spatula.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes or until the surface turns lightly browned.
- Prepare a clean kitchen towel, spray with water mist to wet the towel slightly. Invert the cake (immediately out of oven) onto the wet towel, peel off baking paper then roll it up together with the towel.
- Cool completely on rack.
- Unroll, spread durian cream onto the cake evenly and roll it up again.
- Wrap with cling wrap and chill in the refrigerator before serving.