I noticed that many hotels and restaurants in Japan serve coffee jelly as dessert. Some serve jelly set in a small bowl and other serve cubed jelly in dessert bowl, it is usually serve with syrup and milk at the side but I had my homemade version with some whipped cream on the top instead. Loving it.
I made this with low sugar coffee from a bottle, those ready to drink type, as we have plenty in the pantry. Did not know mil likes coffee jelly so much, will make more for her soon.
Ingredients (3 servings):
- 360 ml coffee (with sugar), room temperature
- 8 g gelatin
- Whipped cream
- Thyme/Mint leaves for garnish
- In a glass bowl, mix small amount of coffee with gelatin and mix well. Put in the micro, select the "milk" heating function and press start. Or you can use manual selection, the point is not to over heat, around 60C is good.
- Add in the rest of the coffee, mix well and heat up again. Transfer to bowls or molds, cool in room temperature then transfer to the refrigerator to chill for about an hour.
- Before serving, top with whipped cream and green if desired.
For cream, I use powder type that I finally bought weeks ago. Very easy to use, just add cold water or milk as instructed and whip up. It is practical especially when small amount of cream is needed. And, perhaps you have already noticed, I used ice-pillow to keep the bowl cool. Anyone else too use ice-pillow this way?
* * *
This recipe was featured in Y3k Recipes issue no. 68, together with three other dessert recipes. Click on the photo and it will bring you to the related post and recipe.