Chestnut Rice [秋の栗ご飯/栗子饭]

Chestnut Rice 

I cooked chestnut rice in Japan for the first time using Japanese ingredients. I do see the differences between the chestnut rice I cooked in Malaysia and in Japan, especially the texture of rice. I used new rice we received from a friend. Autumn, is the season for rice, chestnut, and so forth. New rice, newly harvested rice, has a firmer and mochi-like texture compared to rice which has been milled for awhile. Also, each newly milled rice grain will be crystal clear not yellowish. In fact, some high-end restaurants in Japan insisted to do rice milling their own to ensure best quality of rice serve in restaurants. I am not a rice expert ya, that was from Iron Chef - Michiba-san.

Back to this chestnut rice, the combination of mochi-like rice, and soft and smooth texture chestnut is just irresistible for a rice lover like me. For my diet, I cooked only small amount on purpose. This recipe is good for two persons only but I fed it to five persons. A little too less, I guess.
 
Original recipe is available in Japanese, by Kikkoman (soy sauce company) but I did not use any soy sauce for this. Instead, I used mentsuyu (noodles dipping sauce). Also, I am using a pressure-rice cooker so I skip the rice soaking step. If you are using normal type, remember to soak the rice for at least 30 minutes.

Ingredients (2 servings):
  • 1 cup Japanese rice (200 ml/cup)
  • 150 g peeled chestnut (fresh)
  • 1 tbsp Sake
  • 1 tbsp mentsuyu (concentrate type) or 1/4 tsp Kikkoman soy sauce
  • 1/4 tbsp mirin
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • Black sesame for garnish

Method:
  1. Wash and rinse rice until water running clear (soak if required), drain and transfer to the rice cooker pot.
  2. Add in seasonings (sake, mentsuyu, mirin, and salt), and fill in water up to level "1" in the rice cooker. 
  3. Place a single layer of chestnut on the rice, then cook the rice as if cooking plain rice. 
  4. Transfer cooked rice to serving bowls, garnish with black sesame and serve warm.   

 Chestnut Rice

Comments

  1. Lydia i love chestnut, again remind me the trip to japan, we ate a lot of good quality chestnut. I reckon i couldn't find any here, so no luck i can't cook but only 望梅止渴了

    ReplyDelete
  2. YHL,
    The very first time I came here also ate lot of chestnut, roasted chestnut. Too bad that Aus banned food, otherwise I can send you some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this yellowish chestnut looks a bit different from normal one. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)