I have been idle on My Kitchen for awhile. Causes or excuses? Weather, travel and sickness. Weather is getting much colder now in Japan, it is now the best time to enjoy beautiful autumn view actually but we have had a chance to go for that yet since we came from Malaysia last week. Now, all of us hit by cold bugs. Cold weather has also triggered John's asthma symptom he is the poorest one.
Since I have not done much for My Kitchen, I would like to share with you guys three cakes I made in October - cake month. Luckily all celebrations were not close to each other, two weeks apart to be specific (1st, 17th and 30th).
Both my boys love to lick clean the spatula whenever I bake a cake. In Malaysia, I sometimes hesitated to let them have fun with that considering the freshness of eggs as eggs from wet market do not come with an expiry date. Maybe my worry was unnecessary but it is better than sorry I think.
This was our conversation when my elder boy (4y8m) saw me adding in rum:
Him: Mama, is that osake (liquor)?
Him: Stop! (Raised his voice) Cannot put osake.
Him: Because kodomo (children, in Japanese) cannot drink osake.
Me: Good. So you cannot eat, mama and papa eat.
Him: Cannot, I want to eat! You cannot put osake!
Me: But no osake not nice.
Him: No osake also nice, and I would not mabuk (drunk, in Malay).
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com, scaled down to fit my 9" pan, and added extra rum as suggested in the review.
- 4 egg yolks
- 100 g white sugar
- 105 ml milk
- 200 ml fresh cream
- 2 ml vanilla extract
- 305 g mascarpone cheese
- 40 ml strong coffee, room temperature
- 40 ml rum
- 106 g ladyfingers cookie
- 4 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until well blended. Whisk in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil gently for 1 minute, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Cover tightly and chill in refrigerator 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk mascarpone into yolk mixture (1) until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine coffee and rum. Split ladyfingers in half lengthwise and drizzle with coffee mixture.
- Arrange half of soaked ladyfingers onto bottom of the pan. Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers, then half of whipped cream over that. Repeat layers and sprinkle with cocoa. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours, until set. Decorate as desired.
My boy had fun cleaning up the baking pan, tiramisu for hubby's birthday. The cake was really nice but more coffee and liquor needed for adult version.
For our anniversary - Strawberry cake, sponge cake with strawberry and fresh cream.
For little one's 3rd birthday - Anpanman cake, cheese-sponge with strawberry mousse and strawberry filling. Something easy and made without food colouring, but icing was a mess.
Autumn in Japan, photo taken at the temple near to my boy's kindergarten. Japanese maple (momiji) fell on bamboos covering a well under the tree. More autumn photos available on my FB page, feel free to visit me there.