I am glad that I have invested in a snack maker that comes with different type of plates that I mentioned in my post for taiyaki many weeks back. The extra plates, madeleine and doughnut, I ordered separately have also arrived last week so I have total five type of plates now.
In the past, my knowledge of waffle was very limited always thought that it was just pancake batter cooked in waffle press. I am was wrong! There are many variations of waffle out there, and it can be served both as dessert or savory snack. Made leige waffle with snack maker (waffle plate) last week tried sweet version with butter and blueberry jam, and savory version with cheese, ham and avocado. It tasted so good when it was hot, crispy crust and soft inside, really nice with cheese. My perception of waffle has changed totally.
This recipe is adapted from Vitantonio (PWS-1000) user manual, I prepared the dough with chilled-batter method as in making bread.
Ingredients (makes 6 pieces):
- 200 g bread flour
- 45 g granulated sugar
- 2 g salt
- 10 g skim milk powder
- 50 g butter, diced
- 50 g egg (1 small size)
- 75 ml water
- 6 g instant yeast
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and skim milk in a mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Dissolve yeast in water, then combine with egg and mix well.
- Add (2) in (1), mix and knead till soft dough is formed. Add in butter and continue to knead till well combined and smooth surface is formed.
- Cover with plastic wrap, rest at 30C environment for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 6 equal portions, shape into balls, cover and rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the waffle plate/press, grease with some melted butter or oil, place a dough ball in the middle of a mold (mine makes 2 waffles in one time), close it and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove waffle with a skewer, serve warm with desired topping or filling.
- I substituted water with milk, and omitted skim milk powder.
- I made double of this recipe, some cooked for 4 minutes so it will not burnt when I reheat it with toaster.
- This is dough type recipe, there are also thick batter recipes for leige waffle available on the net, do google search if preferred.