Spinach is John's favourite vegetable at the moment after watching Popeye The Sailor Man... tutt...tutt, he will pick up a pack of spinach every time we do grocery shopping without prompting. And, after every single bite of spinach he always asked all of us to squeeze his little arm muscle if it was hard enough.
This is not the style he likes though he prefers something plain, boiled then eat with ponzu. We usually have spinach as green vegetable for shabu-shabu so he can have his favourite vegetable and I can have mine.
- 200 g spinach
- 40 g cream cheese
- 2 tsp Japanese mayonnaise
1 tbsp dried sakura ebi, toasted
- Rinse spinach to remove sand, if any, and drain well.
- Bring apot of water to a boil, cook whole spinach until its colour has changed. Drain and put under running tap water to cool down the spinach rapidly. Drain well and squeeze gently to remove excess water. Cut into bite size, discard root.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise and pepper. Mix well. Add in spinach and stir to coat with dressing.
- Transfer into serving bowl(s) and garnish with sakura ebi.
This recipe is featured in Y3K Recipes issue no. 67 along with three other Japanese recipes:
- Steamed Egg With Crab
- Salmon and Edamame Onigiri
- Stuffed Pumpkin Balls