Tazuna-zushi or Tazuna Maki is a rolled sushi with diagonal strips of colourful ingredients across the top, often called a rainbow roll. Again, this is also an easy-to-make sushi especially when you need something quick and presentable for entertaining guests.
Same as for last few sushi recipes, I used whatever I had on-hand. For sure, you can use fresh salmon or smoked salmon too for colour contrast. This sushi recipe is also featured in Y3K Recipes issue no. 73 (Jul/Aug 2013).
Ingredients (makes 4 rolls):
- Sushi rice (cooked from 1 cup of raw rice)
- 1 kyuri
- 8-10 boiled prawns
- Divide and shape sushi rice into 4 equal portion rolls with plastic wrap. Set aside.
- Peel the kyuri with a peeler to obtain thin slices. Arrange 3 slices together and cut in halves as shown in the photo.
- Peel prawn, divide each prawn into halves lengthwise.
- Place a plastic wrap over sushi mat, arrange in kyuri and prawn alternatively.
- Place a sushi roll (1) on the top, roll it up together with plastic wrap and sushi mat carefully. Set aside for few minutes before cutting, with the plastic wrap on.
- Cut into 6 equal pieces then remove the plastic wrap carefully. Serve with shoyu, wasabi and pickled ginger.