This is typical chinese dish, my Japanese fiance very fond of it at the first time he tried this dish at my hometown. After came back to Sydney, he often requested for it. It can be served with steamed rice or chinese bun. Pork skin and fat make this dish special, you got to love them to enjoy this dish!
Recipe (4-5 Servings):
- 1 Pig's Leg (abt 1.5kg), chop into 8-10 pieces
- 1 head Garlic, curshed
- 3 Shallots, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 cup Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 piece Fresh Ginger (abt 2 inches), sliced.
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 2 Star Anises
- 1 tsp 2-spices powder
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 3-4 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- 10 Dried Shiitake Mushroom (optional), soak in water until soft & drained
- 4-5 Hard-boiled Eggs (optional), remove shell
- Sear all side of pork in a non-stick pan.
- Heat oil in a pot on medium heat, put in garlic, shallot, ginger, sugar, cinnamon stick and star anise. Saute for 2minutes.
- Add in seared pork, dark soy sauce and 5-spices powder and keep stirring for another 2 minutes.
- Add in water, bring to boil. Water should cover the meat, add more water if required.
- Add mushroom and egg and let it simmer for 30mins on low heat.
- Add salt to taste and let it simmer for another 30minutes. Stir once or twice in between and not to break the eggs.
- Garnish with cilantro (corainder leaves) and serve.
- It is important to sear the pork first and do not omit any of the ingredients.
- REMEMBER to ask the butcher to chop the pork totter, it is impossible to chop the big bone at home.
- If you are garlic lover, add few heads of garlic (do not crush it) at step 5.
- You can prepare this dish one day in advance, it tastes better the next day.