Nasi Lemak

Nasi Lemak

Photo updated on 2 April 2007

Nasi Lemak - one of the famous Malaysian dishes. Its name literally means rice in fat, it is derived from the cooking process whereby the rice is cooked with coconut cream or milk.

I like the traditional Nasi Lemak which comes with 1/2 hard-boiled egg, some fried anchovies and roasted peanuts, few slices of cucumber and sambal tumis. Sambal is the main actor in this dish, it is chili paste cooked with shrimp paste (aka belacan in Malay). I met a Malay girl at Dimia ages ago we chatted about foods and she taught me how to make this sambal. Thank you... you know who you are.

Visited a few Malaysian food stalls and restaurants in Sydney only one restaurant that offer real taste of sambal. I heard that the owner is from Ipoh his Ipoh "ho fan" is quite popular too. I tried their stir fried snap peas with sambal it was very nice.

Comments