Simple homemade noodle with fish balls, homemade too. This type of noodle is very popular amongst Chinese communities in both Malaysia and Singapore. The traditional way is cooking this noodle in clear soup, and topped with fried anchovies and onion before serving.
Ingredients (4 serves):
2 cup all purpose flour
1 small egg
pinch of salt
1 tbsp cooking oil
1/4 cup water
Dipping sauce (optional):
2-3 bird-eye chilies, chopped
1-2 clove garlic, chopped
1 tbsp soy sauce
- Put four and salt in a mixing bowl, stir to mix.
- Make a well in the middle of flour, add in egg, cooking oil and water.
- Mix well with fingers then knead for about 5 minutes until dough is form.
- Divide dough into 4 small balls, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 15 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile prepare your favourite soup. When the soup is boiled, let it simmer over small flame.
- Get a small ball of dough and use fingers to pull the dough to make a thin and small sheet, and drop it into the soup straight away.
- Repeat until finish. Once the noodle is cooked, it will float on the surface.
This is how I make the noodle. You may also roll the dough into thin sheet on a slightly flour surface, then cut into small pieces.