Canned Sardine in Tomato Sauce / 茄汁沙丁鱼

Canned sardine in tomato sauce cooked with onion and chili, a regular dish at my home when I was young. One big can of sardine cooked with two onions, a vegetable dish, and a pot of steamed rice made a complete meal. My mum used to cook fried vermicelli with it, tasted little fishy but I liked it. Actually I was thinking to cook fried vermicelli but I cooked rice before I went out.

In Malaysia, there are many ways to serve canned sardine in tomato sauce. You can find sardine in curry puff (sardine version), murtabak (the link explains what is murtabak the photo is a bit out), sandwiches, and so forth.

Here is the recipe for those who have not tried sardine cooked with onion:

Ingredients (2 serves):
1 can (medium) sardine in tomato sauce
1 big onion, sliced
1 tomato, chopped (optional)
2 bird-eye chili (optional)
1 tbsp cooking oil
salt to taste

Directions:
  • Heat oil in small pan, saute onion and chili until onion is soften.
  • Add in sardine (everything in the can) and tomato. If you like more gravy, add a some water at this point.
  • Let simmer on medium heat for 1-2 minutes and add salt to taste.
  • Serve with steamed rice.

Comments