Durian Pudding Cake / 榴莲布丁蛋糕 / ドリアンプリンケーキ

Durian Pudding Cake

Yohoo... durian season is here! Lets begin the durian feast. I did not have any chances to feast on durian for the past three years when living in Sydney. So... this year is time for revenge! Actually durian is also available in Sydney, but they are all frozen Thai durian which are less "smelly". Since some of you may be new to durian, I have insert a link to wikipedia, where detailed description and information about durian is available.

I have submitted this photo for June-08 CLICK event: CLICK YELLOW. This month’s CLICK is linked to a BREAST CANCER FUNDRAISER for Briana Brownlow of Figs with Bri. Please visit Jugalbandi for detailed information on photography contest and donation to Briana.

Sponge Cake Base

Ingredients:
½ cup all purpose flour
2 eggs
1 tsp ovalette (optional)
⅓ cup castor sugar
¼ cup cold milk (full cream)
1 tsp vanilla essence
Pinch of salt

Directions:

  1. Line and grease a 8” spring form baking pan. Preheat oven to 175ºC.
  2. Beat eggs for 1 minute, add in ovalette and sugar then continue to beat until the mixture is pale in colour.
  3. Stir in milk and vanilla essence, fold in sifted flour and salt.
  4. Bake for 12-15 minutes, cool on rack.

Durian Pudding
Ingredients:
1 cup milk
80g sugar
1½ tsp agar-agar powder (mix with ¼ cup water)
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp custard powder
½ tbsp gelatine powder (dilute in 2 tbsp hot water)
½ cup durian puree (I added some chunk)

Directions:

  1. Heat milk with sugar until it boils. Add in agar-agar mixture and bring to boil.
  2. Turn the heat down, add in egg yolks and custard powder. Cook until it thickens
  3. Stir in gelatine mixture and durian puree. Mix until well blended.

Assemble
1. Trim the top of the sponge cake if desired.
2. Place the cake back into the spring form pan, pour in pudding mixture.
3. Cool and keep in refrigerator before serving.

Comments

  1. Durian is pretty expensive here. Small frozen package it costs me almost 5 dollar:( meanwhile in Indonesia during durian session I can eat as most as I want and so cheap LOL.
    anyway, are you submitting this photo for click? "yellow" is the theme of this month.

    I am off from cooking and baking for awhile but will be back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dwiana:
    Thanks for your reminder, almost missed this month's click event.
    I can eat durian as much as I want this year! Lived in sydney for the past 3 yrs, didnt like those frozen Thai durian available there.

    where are you off to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lydia, can please share this recipe with me as my lou kong (hubby) simply looooves durians! thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeh, we only have frozen Thai durians back in California too. Can't beat the real thing.

    P.S Thanks for your reply on herring roes. Solve the mystery in me :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lydia,

    This is my first time visiting your blog. You're a wonderful cook!

    The Durian Pudding Cake looks so delicious. I really want to make it, but don't know where I can find "ovallete" and "custard powder" in the USA. Please let me know. Thank you for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vonie,
    As far as I know, ovallete is not available in US. Bte, it is a sponge cake stabliser. You can simply omit it. About custard powder, I think it is available in any supermarkets. Birds brand custard powder is available world wide. I found the following site selling CP, hope it helps. http://www.britishfoodshop.com/shopexd.asp?id=17

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)