CNYB Part V: Kuih Bahulu

Bahulu

Kuih Bahulu - a traditional Malaysian cake enjoyed by all ages. These mini cakes are baked in bahulu moulds that come with various shapes and sizes. Traditionally, it is baked with hot charcoal and the mould comes with a lid or rather a bowl for filling charcoal. Good bahulu should have crispy edges and soft inside.

Bahulu is also a must have Chinese New Year goodies. Even though it is now readily available in the market throughout the year but lots of people still baking it especially during festive seasons like Chinese New Year and Hari Raya. I guess it is the time of gather together with friends and families, and fun of baking it that count.

Bahulu

I searched high and low for the bahulu mould for months, finally found it available at a grocery shop in my hometown. I bought two small moulds, simply love the pop-in-the-mouth size cake. My sister and mom thought I should have bought the big mould, save time in baking. I am not practical in that sense.

Bahulu Mould

Ingredients:
5 large eggs (about 300gm without shell)
120g fine granulated sugar
150g all-purpose flour
¼ tsp baking powder
½ tsp vanilla essence

Methods:
  1. In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
  2. Add in vanilla essence, and stir to blend.
  3. Sift together flour and baking powder, then fold into egg mixture.
  4. Preheat oven at 220ºC together with the mould. Grease mould with cooking oil and put in the oven for a few seconds.
  5. Fill each hole with batter and bake for 6-7 minutes or until it is golden brown.
  6. Cool completely before storing in the container.

Notes:

  • New mould will have problem of batter sticking on it, grease the mould well and heat it up before first use.
  • Subsequently, grease the mould before baking the next batch.

Comments

  1. Hi..Your bahulu is so beautiful..!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh .... my girl love Kuih Bahulu and we just bought a huge bag during CNY and I still wondering how they make this kuih bahulu then I saw your post! Your kuih bahulu really looks so yummy!! I also wanted to try it out but like you said, very hard to find the mould :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know it is call Kuih Bahulu. I like it alot.

    Seems like the ingredients are pretty simple, if I have oven, I will bake it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I just found your blog and it's beautiful! I've been snooping through your archives this afternoon and learning so much. Hopefully soon I'll work up the courage to try one of your recipes, but I'm not at all familiar with this cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the tiny cakes and especially the pretty mould shapes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. my children loves bahulu. how many does your recipe yields? it seems a lot. i've tried another recipe but when it's cool the bahulu turns chewy and the texture is dense. how's your texture of bahulu the following day? i hope to try out your recipe this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Delia,
    Sorry, I don't remember how much pieces it yeilded. I used small moulds and managed to get a medium size container (those with red cover) + snacking while baking.

    The texture was soft and fluffy the following days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I'm residing in Hong Kong and can't seems to find a similar mould. Any alternative?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Koyuki-Corgi,
    Not sure if you can use Madeleine mould for this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi

    May I know if your recipe can yield soft and fluffy kuih bahulu or the crispy type?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)