First post from My Kitchen in Penang! I have been busy since last week, packing, moving and unpacking. Now, settling down and trying to get my life back - baking, cooking and blogging! We are still waiting for the internet connection to be activated at our apartment, using broadband on T's mobile now.
By the way, I am very happy with our apartment especially the night scene of Penang bridge from the master bedroom. Will post a night scene photo next time, this internet connection is not very stable and having problem in uploading photos.
* * *
Baked some hazelnut-coffee muffins last night, was a midnight project. T is now addicted to hazelnut flavour coffee, a very strong instant coffee. I used this coffee in chiffon cake before, all of us loved it very much. I was reluctant to give it to John though, is he too young for coffee?
Ingredients (makes 6 regular muffins):
- 60ml fresh milk
- 2 tbsp hazelnut flavour instant coffee
- 60g butter, soften
- 50g fine granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 150g cake flour, sift together with baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- Almond slices
- Heat up milk lightly and dissolve instant coffee in milk. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven at 180ºC.
- Whisk butter until creamy, add in sugar and continue to whisk until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg and whisk until well combine.
- Fold in sifted flour in batches, alternate with coffee milk.
- Transfer batter into muffin cases and sprinkle almond slices over the surfaces.
- Turn oven down to 175ºC and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool on rack.