Matcha Steamed Cake (抹茶发糕)

Cake_MatchaSteamed_1

This type of steamed cake is usually made with brown sugar for praying purposes, but I made some with matcha today to satisfy my craving for steamed cake. Actually I craved for steamed cake made with rice flour (蒸米糕), which is fluffier and takes longer time to prepare. Thus, I settled with this quick recipe first. First? Yes... I am making another type tomorrow.


Ingredients (makes ±6):
  • 125g cake flour
  • 90g castor sugar
  • 1 tbsp matcha
  • 125ml water
  • *1 tsp baking powder
  • *15ml cold water

Methods:

  1. Preheat steamer.
  2. Sift together flour and matcha, then mix well with sugar in a mixing bowl.
  3. Gradually add in water and whisk until sugar is dissolved.
  4. Once the steamer is preheated, dissolve baking powder with 15ml water in a small cup.
  5. Stir baking powder solution into batter and mix well.
  6. Transfer batter into small bowls or moulds lined with paper cases.
  7. Steam on high for 20 minutes. DO NOT open the steamer during steaming process, to prevent water mark on the surfaces.

Cake_MatchaSteamed_2

John always tried to grab my props or "model" during photo shootings, but he was quiet this time. Guess what? He was attacking my spare cakes!! Glad that he liked it though.

John

Comments

  1. Another great recipe from you. Nice green colour from the Matcha, but I am not a big fans of it.

    So nice that John eats most of your food.

    I also likes to dress Sarah in those tshirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne:
    Thanks. I like matcha, especially matcha icecream.

    John eats almost everything I cooked, not too picky, lucky me.

    I bought him 3 or 4 pairs when he was born, they are all old and torn now. Good and comfortable to wear at home, I think.

    MeRy:
    Do you like fat kueh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. your son look so cute..I want to pinch his cheek!! lol!! now you give me an idea to use matcha to make "kueh nee gor and fatt koh"!! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your presentation of the cake looks lovely..I'm sure it's delicious too..You have such a cute son =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just posted a recipe with matcha too! matcha oats =) this is another great use of matcha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lydia,

    When you mention matcha..is it green tea powder?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beachlover's Kitchen,
    You are welcome. My son loved it very much, I gave him choices between sandwich and steamed cake. He reached for cake straight away!

    Jen,
    Thanks for dropped by. Chubby little guy always look cute. :d

    Pigpigscorner,
    I never think of mixing matcha with oat, taste good?

    Jean,
    Yeap, it is green tea powder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I don't have moulds that can fit into my steamer, can I just put the batter into paper cases without the moulds?

    Thanks! I enjoying visiting your website

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kristen,
    I am afraid that you can't use just paper cases for steaming. You need a mould to support paper cases/shape, you can use aluminium cases or small rice bowl for steaming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Lydia! I used rice bowls as you suggested and it worked fine.
    Your recipes are great! Thanks for posting them up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. love them! which is the secret to make them so fluffy? :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blueberry,
    Add bp just before steaming them. Is it secret? lol

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lydia,
    Which brand of matcha powder do you typically use in your recipe for cakes? I tried few brands n d colour just wasn't right.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,

    Sorry that I have forgotten the brand. It was from a famous matcha desset shop in Gion, Kyoto.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)