This type of steamed cake is usually made with brown sugar for praying purposes, but I made some with matcha today to satisfy my craving for steamed cake. Actually I craved for steamed cake made with rice flour (蒸米糕), which is fluffier and takes longer time to prepare. Thus, I settled with this quick recipe first. First? Yes... I am making another type tomorrow.
Ingredients (makes ±6):
- 125g cake flour
- 90g castor sugar
- 1 tbsp matcha
- 125ml water
- *1 tsp baking powder
- *15ml cold water
- Preheat steamer.
- Sift together flour and matcha, then mix well with sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Gradually add in water and whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Once the steamer is preheated, dissolve baking powder with 15ml water in a small cup.
- Stir baking powder solution into batter and mix well.
- Transfer batter into small bowls or moulds lined with paper cases.
- Steam on high for 20 minutes. DO NOT open the steamer during steaming process, to prevent water mark on the surfaces.
John always tried to grab my props or "model" during photo shootings, but he was quiet this time. Guess what? He was attacking my spare cakes!! Glad that he liked it though.