I always cooked simple dishes for lunch when there are just John and myself at home. I believe many parents in this situation will give up their usual lunch too, and share something that is more kids friendly with their little ones. To me, it is easier to prepare one dish than two and John tends to eat better when we are eating the same dish. Why not?
Since John loves pasta in tomato sauce so much, I decided to use pasta sauce in this baked rice. Added grilled shark fillet and boiled broccoli, the result was great. Not too fishy and both of us loved it.
2-3 cups cooked rice (I used leftover rice)
1 shark fillet
1 cup chopped broccoli
Some pizza cheese
¼ cup tomato pasta sauce (add more if desired)
Some chopped parsley or other herbs
- Boil broccoli with pinch of salt until the colour has changed. For my boy, I boiled it for longer time until it is soft enough for him.
- Season fillet with salt and pepper for about 5 minutes, and pan grill with a bit of oil until it is cooked. Make flake with a fork.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together broccoli, fish flakes, rice, pasta sauce and some cheeses. Add salt and pepper to taste. I scooped up my boy's portion first before adding salt.
- Transfer rice into au gratin dishes or ramekins, add a generous sprinkle of cheese over the surface. Garnish with parsley if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200ºC for about 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese has melted. Serve warm.
- Broccoli can be substituted with other vegetables such as asparagus, mushroom and capsicum.
- Some olives and olive oil may also be added for extra flavour.