Apam Balik (慢煎糕 / Peanut Pancake)

ApamBalik

慢煎糕 (Ban Jian Kuih) - one of the popular snacks I grown up with. Having said that, I am not a big fan of it though. 慢煎糕 aka Apam Balik in Malay language, is a pancake topped with butter, ground roasted peanut and creamy sweet corn. Then, it is folded into semicircle shape and cut into wedges before serving. It is available almost every where in Malaysia. Other than the original peanut flavour, new flavours such as strawberry and chocolate are famous among young generation.

I made some today for afternoon tea with ground roasted peanut leftover from making steamed peanut buns a few days ago. John loved the steamed peanut bun, did not expect that as he refused toast with peanut butter many times. I am glad that he finished his afternoon tea - 慢煎糕 and fresh milk.

ApamBalik_1

I do not have a small pan, so I made it with a rectangle shape non-stick pan (meant for tamago yaki). Honestly, I am not sure this is a 慢煎糕 recipe as I came across some other recipes called for yeast, alkaline water and so forth. I have been using this pancake recipe for years, and to me it tastes like the 慢煎糕 I had. So, here come my 慢煎糕.

Ingredients:
Batter
1 egg
2 tbsp sugar
1 cup full cream milk (may not need all)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup self-raising flour
¼ tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt (if using salted butter, omit this)
1 tbsp cooking oil (I used sunflower oil)

Toppings
½ cup ground peanuts (mix together with sugar)
2 tbsp sugar (or to taste)
¼-½ cup creamy sweet corn
Some diced butter

Methods:

  1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk egg with sugar until sugar is dissolved.
  2. Add in half cup of milk and vanilla essence, mix well.
  3. Sift together self-raising flour with baking soda, add into mixture in batches.
  4. Add in oil and remaining milk, mix until just combined.
  5. Cook pancake with non-stick pan on low heat.
  6. Once the pancake is done, drop in diced butter, sprinkle ground peanut and spoon over some creamy sweet corn.
  7. Fold it over while it is hold, and cool (do not have to cool completely) on rack to prevent soggy bottom.
  8. Cut into serving size and serve warm.

Comments

  1. must i rest the batter before using or can use immediately? can i use a non stick pan? tq for sharing the recipe. looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can use other toppings other than peanut?
    tq for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this....been looking for this recipe that doesn't need alkaline water. It is so professionally done. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks nice. i wanna try it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, thank you! I was just craving this and was wondering if I should try making a homemade version, and TA-DAH! I see it on your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. jen,
    I did not rest the batter. To my understanding, if using baking powder (which is in the self-raising flour), the batter should be bake/steam/cook immediately to get best result.
    Yes, you can use a non-stick pan.

    sy,
    The original flavour is peanut with sweet corn. But I saw ppl selling at pasar malam in Cheras... lots of flavours to choose from. So, no harm to try out your favourite topping.

    Elin,
    Thanks for compliments. Hope you like this recipe.

    ah john,
    Make for you next time ya... :D

    The Little Teochew,
    Homemade pancake is easy to make, but bit of works on roasting and grounding the peanuts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh .. this is something that I have not had! I really want to try making it at home. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow!! your homemade pancake is beautifully done like the one sell at stall!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was going to try out this recipe and I thought of whether I need the full cream? If I omit it do I have to replace it with milk?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leemei,
    Missing it? Great with a cup of hot coffee/tea.

    Beachlover,
    Thanks for the compliments.

    tracieMoo,
    You can use fresh milk or skim milk. I prefer full cream milk in baking, richer flavour in baked goods. Another reason is, I have toddler at home so store only full cream milk in pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of my favourite food for breakfast. You have a very informative site. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lydia,
    ban jian kuih..... i die liau, i die liau!!

    u hav everything it takes to write a recipe/cook book.

    all the photos u hav taken and the recipes here can be easily published into cook book in no time.

    what are u waiting for???

    if u sell one online, I will buy one today. i dun need some fancy 5 stars recipes. Basic cooking skills and home recipes are slowly disappearing from the younger generation and this is what i need or perhaps most craves for.

    i wish u can do more simple innovative recipes tht we can easily cook for our children.

    p/s don stop what u r doing

    ReplyDelete
  13. aiyoh, as JT said I die liao , gosh, I sure miss this. Will make it one day, but peanuts here in Istanbul is just too darn expensive, may be I'll spread Cikolata instead. Thanks for sharing your recipes. Great site.

    Cheers
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Denesa,
    Thanks for the compliments.

    JT,
    I can tell you are another bjk lover! This little kuih has lots of fans.

    Thanks for the compliments and suggestion. Perhaps I should start to do a online cookbook now! And, will look for you to be my first customer. :D

    Btw, I am now contributing some simple (kid's friendly)recipes to Y3K food magazine (bi-monthly). You can check it out.

    Annie,
    Perhaps you should start a peanut business over there? lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love ban jian kuih! It's the one thing I always always have when I go home. Thanks for the recipe, have bookmarked it for times of need/craving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lydia...mmmm....your apam balik sounds so good and it is without alkaline water. I'm going to make this this Sunday while watching Super Bowl with family. Thanks for sharing your recipe and love ur blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lydia, I want to try out this recipe this week.Need to ask what you mean by add into mixture in batches. Wouldn't the thickness/ consistency vary? Thanks.
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  18. Audrey,
    Divide flour + etc, into 2-43 portions then add into mixture one portion after another. Mix briefly after each adddition. This way, wet and dry ingredients will blend together easily and less lump.
    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lydia, I made this yesterday and they tasted well.Just want to know how I can get the outer layer drier and a bit crispy.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Lydia, this is one of my favorite snack growing in Malaysia. I had not have it for a long long time since I moved to US in the 80s. I'm going to get my wife to make it for me this weekend :) ... thanks for sharing this recipe! I'm so happy I found it!! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lydia, you spam Balikpapan looks good. I would like to make it. However, I can't find the recipe in your post. Could you please kindly share it agin?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lydia!!!wow!!! your apam just look exactly the same one from the professional people from anywhere in Malaysia. I mean those peole who been making it for years as their living.
    It look fantastic and Iam sure it taste great as well. Iam going to try making some for my sister cuz I know she loves it..Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can i use coconut milk instead of full fat milk?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sure you can, taste better I think.

    ReplyDelete
  25. To get thicker apam, should i pour all? I tried to spoon out and make few pieces out of it n it turn out thin apam, pls advice.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Should i pour all yo make thicker apam? I tried spoon put of it and make few pieces of it, it turn out very thin. And by the way, for the peanut filling...should i fry it first before blended it or how, please advice. Much appreciated for your reply, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Siti,

    I am not sure how thick you want it, try add little by little to get thinker apam. Btw, it is also depends on the size of pan you use.

    For the peanut, fry first.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)