I always used ginkgo nuts in desserts and stir-fried vegetables. This is my first time using them in savoury soup. T loves ginkgo nuts and chicken soup very much, so I combined them in one pot - ginko nuts chicken soup. T said the soup was better than the ginseng chicken soup I cooked few days ago.
I added some white fungus (aka snow fungus), after few hours of double-boiling, the soup was so smooth and thick. White fungus contains rich gelatin that thicken up the soup naturally, and it is believed to contain health properties similar to bird nest if consume regularly. When buying white fungus, I always picked up the yellowish ones as they are unbleached.
When writing this post, I found some ginkgo nut chicken soup recipes online. By adding some other Chinese herbs, it can be a nourishing soup for those who are planning to have baby!
- Clean chicken and chop into chunks if desired.
- Scald chicken with boiling water and drain.
- Place chicken in double boiler or slow-cooker, add in ginkgo nuts and white fungus. Fill in boiling water, 3-4 cups depending on the size of double boiler.
- Double boil for 2 hours on low heat. If using slow-cooker, 2 hours on auto.
- Add wolf berries and salt to taste, and let it boil for further 10-15 minutes.
- Serve warm.