Made a batch of meringue kisses with leftover egg whites yesterday. I made white (without colouring) and pink kisses but white ones turned into lovely bronze colour. Aren't they cute? They are crispy and almost melt in the mouth.
There are only three ingredients needed - egg white, sugar and cream of tartar. Of course, you can add flavour and colour to it as you wish. I understand that some couples give away colourful meringue kisses in a nice bag as wedding door gift. However, I think in humid countries like Malaysia it is not a very good idea though. These kisses absorbed moist really fast, within ten minutes exposing in the air they became very sticky just like cotton candy.
Okay, here is the recipe. See how I use my meringue kisses later.
Ingredients (makes 30-40 pieces):
2 egg whites
½ cup icing sugar
¼ tsp cream of tartar
- Beat egg whites until foamy, add in sugar and cream of tartar. Continue to beat till meringue stage. When lift up the beaters, there will be stiff short horns on the beaters.
- Add colouring if using. Mix well.
- Transfer into pipping bag, and pip small kisses onto baking tray lined with baking paper. Type of tip depending on size and shape of kisses preferred.
- Bake in preheated oven, at 120°C for 50 minutes. Then, cool in the oven with oven door ajar.
- Once cooled, store in airtight container immediately. Do REMEMBER this.
Many kisses for him, on his birthday. His favourite brownie cheesecake with nutella spread and meringue kisses. My initial plan was to make two strokes across the surface with nutella then deco with meringue kisses. Well, cake did not turn out perfect cracks on were quite obvious I had no choice but to cover them up with more nutella. Hope he likes it. 誕生日おめでとう!