If I given a choice between fresh apple and orange, I will go for orange for sure. But when come to apple cake or anything baked with apple, I have never been able to resist it. I like the seductive aroma of baked apple with a hint of cinnamon.
Ingredients (5-6 pieces):
½ Fuji apple, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp fine granulated sugar
50g butter, room temperature
40g fine granulated sugar
1 no. large egg, break with a fork
50ml full cream milk
80g cake flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ Fuji apple, seeded and sliced thinly
½ tbsp fine granulated sugar
2-3 pinches of ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven at 170°C .
- Rub chopped apple with sugar and cook till apple is softened. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter till creamy. Stir in sugar and continue to beat till colour turns pale.
- While beating, add in egg in batches and beat till light and fluffy.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and fold into the mixture, alternate with milk. Mix till just combined.
- Stir in cooked apple together with the liquid.
- Transfer batter into paper cases, arrange apple slices on the top and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool on rack.
- The size of paper cases I used was about 3" (bottom diameter) x 1" (side wall).
- I filled the cases 80% full but I think 70% will have better presentation and no worry of over flow.
- I used one large Fuji apple, that was what I had in the fridge. If using small apple, two will be good.