Cake roll made with simple sponge cake and nutella filling. It was a simple cake but boys buzzed around when I was preparing batter only realised melted butter was still sitting on the kitchen bench when all ready to go into oven! Luckily,my boys gave me full support and it was gone within two days.
The sponge cake base recipe is adapted from Daily Delicious, with new method (to me) of beating the eggs.
3 nos. large egg, separated
40g cake flour
1 tbsp full cream milk (optional)
25g butter, melted
- Preheat oven to180°C.
- Line a 30x30 cm baking tray with baking paper, set aside.
- Beat egg whites with medium speed till soft peaks then add in sugar gradually and continue to beat with high speed till stiff peaks.
- Add in egg yolks at once, beat with low speed for 1 minute.
- Add half amount of cake flour, fold in till just combined. Add in milk, fold in briefly then add and fold in the rest of cake flour.
- Stir in melted butter and mix till just blended.
- Transfer to prepared baking tray, smooth out the surface with a spatula.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes or until the surface turns lightly browned.
- Prepare a clean kitchen towel, spray with water mist to wet the towel slightly. Invert the cake (immediately out of oven) onto the wet towel, peel off baking paper then roll it up together with the towel.
- Cool completely on rack.
- Unroll, spread nutella onto the cake evenly and roll it up again.
- Wrap with cling wrap and chill in the fridge before serving.
I reserved about 3 tablespoons of batter, mixed with small amount of nutella and made heart shape patterns on the surface but were not clear in the photo.
This is a scheduled post, while you are drooling over this cake (perhaps?) I am enjoying my holiday.