I baked an apple tart for entertaining our guests yesterday afternoon, a basic shortbread crust with custard filling, topped with apple slices and almond slices. It was served at room temperature simply delicious with a cup of coffee.
The custard filling was made with custard powder so I added in a slice of sliced cheese to make it tasty and creamy. It did not taste cheesy at all, add more cheese if cheesy custard is preferred.
Ingredients (makes 8" springform pan):
100g butter, diced
120g all-purpose flour
30g icing sugar
Pinch of salt
1 heap tbsp custard powder
2 tbsp sugar or to taste
1 no. sliced cheese
2 apples, peeled and sliced thinly
40g fine granulated sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- Crust: In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour and sugar. Add in butter, rub and mix it into flour until crumble is formed. Gently press dough onto the bottom and sides (2.5 to 3cm height) of a greased springform pan. Cover with plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator.
- Custard: In a pan, whisk together milk and custard powder. Cook on stove with low-medium heat till the mixture is bubbling. Add in sugar to taste and slice cheese, mix till well blended. Remove from heat, cool completely.
- Topping: Mix together sugar and cinnamon to make cinnamon sugar. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over apple slices and mix well.
- Assemble: Take prepared crust out from refrigerator, pour in custard then arrange in apple slices. Lastly, scatter almond slices over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven, at 220°C for 10 minutes then reduce to 200°C and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Serve warm, room temperature or chilled, dust with icing sugar just before serving.
This photo is on Foodbuzz 16 Jun 2011 Top 9 list.