Participated in a blogger baking event organized and sponsored by Happy Farmer (brief translation) from Taiwan recently. One of the key ingredients to be included in the recipe was red rice flour supplied by the organizer. I googled for recipes before I received the rice flour and discovered many baking recipes called for rice flour especially most gluten free recipes substituted wheat flour with rice flour. Before this, I used rice flour for only cookies and pie pastry, to increase crispiness. Again, I have learned something new.
收到150克的红米粉当天正打算做小面包(dinner roll), 因此就做了第一个试验 - 红米粉小面包, 用了50%的面包粉和50%的红米粉。选择这个超简单的食谱就是想尝尝原味的米包。结果呢？味道还不错，微甜加上淡淡的米香一出炉就让两个小瓜啃了好几个。口感方面蛮松软的，米包比普通面包较湿润但少了份弹性。说实在的，第一次做粉包不晓得试验成功与否。
On the day I received the red rice flour (150g), I was planning to bake some dinner rolls. Thus, my first experiment was this Red Rice Flour Buns baked with the combination of 50% bread flour and 50% red rice flour. I chose this simple recipe as I wanted to have a taste the original flavour of rice bun. Verdict? The taste was good, slightly sweeten with hint of rice aroma. My boys gobbled up a few of them soon after they were baked. As for texture, rice buns were fluffy and they were moister but less springy than the buns baked with only bread flour. Honestly, my first time hands on bread baking with rice flour so not very sure if it was successful.
Ingredients (makes 8-10 buns):
100g bread flour / 面包粉
100g red rice flour / 红米粉
15g fine granulated sugar / 细糖
3g salt / 盐
4g instant dry yeast / 即溶酵母
60ml fresh milk / 鲜奶
80ml water / 水
10g butter / 奶油
- In a large bowl, bring together flours, sugar and salt. Mix well with a spatula or whisk. （把粉，糖和盐放如盆内，用刮刀搅匀。）
- Make a well in the centre, add in yeast, milk and water. Mix with a spatula from the centre until all flour incorporated. （在粉中弄个井，加入酵母，奶 和水。用刮刀慢慢搅拌至成团。）
- Knead with hands till the surface is smooth. Add in butter and continue to knead till soft dough is formed. When pull, thin film of dough is visible. You can knead the dough on a slightly floured table top if desired. (用手揉至表面光滑，加入奶油继续揉至可以拉出薄膜的面团。)
- Cover dough with plastic wrap, keep in a warm place and proof for 30-40 minutes or till the dough is doubled in size. （盖上保鲜膜，进行第一次发酵约30至40分钟。）
- Turn dough onto a slightly floured table top, divide and shape dough into 8-10 equal size balls. Arrange them on a greased baking tray. （台面稍微撒粉，将面团分割成8-10等份，滚圆后放入烤盘。）
- Cover with plastic wrap and rest for 30 minutes or until they are doubled/tripled in size. (盖上保鲜膜，进行第二次发酵约30分钟或至小粉团成2-3倍。）
- Bake in the preheated oven at 175℃ for 10 to 12 minutes. (放入已预热的烤箱，以175℃烘烤10-12 分钟。）
My elder son (3y4m) loves bread with cream soup a lot. When I was cooking the soup, he came into the kitchen "Mama, I smell hotel soup". Every time we dined in restaurant at a hotel he always asked for a bowl of cream soup and ate happily with a slice of nice bread.