Obento is common Japanese cuisine homemade, take-out or serving in restaurant. There are many types of obento come with different main dish. However, I am sharing some simple modern obento made with sandwiches instead of rice or rice ball (onigiri). They are good for both breakfast and lunch, and much easier to prepare compared to traditional obento. Let’s start filling the limited space with unlimited creativities and have lots of fun with child/ren.
Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
4 tbsp sweet corn kernels, boiled
1 tbsp mayonnaise
4 slices bread
Cheese for mouth
Seaweed (Nori) for eyes
Kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
Apple, cut into wedges
Yellow capsicum, cut into sticks
2 slices carrot, boiled (for flower)
6 cocktails sausages
- For filling, mix together sweet corn kernels and mayonnaise then season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep in the refrigerator till need.
- Trim off crust of sliced bread, and 4 slits on each slices of bread as shown in the photo below.
- Place a tablespoon heap of filling in the centre of each slice of bread, wrap it up with plastic wrap and make a ball shape as shown in the photo. Set aside for few minutes so that the shape stays when plastic wrap is removed.
- Place sandwiches in paper case first then in an obento lined with lettuce. Add on sliced sausage for ears, nori for eyes, cheese for mouth, and a carrot flower for female puppy.
- Arrange in sausage, apple, kiwi fruit and capsicum sticks.
- Use a paper towel to absorb excess moist off from ingredients like sausage, crabstick, vegetable, etc.
- If you do not have little cutters for obento, try using different sizes of straw for cutting out eye and mouth.