When the lazy bugs visited me, I served this one pot chicken rice to my family. A short-cut to Hainanese chicken rice, super easy meal to prepare yet comforting.
Ingredients (3-4 servings):
2 no. chicken whole legs (I used free-range chicken aka kampung chicken)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup Jasmine rice (200ml), rinsed and soaked for 15 minutes
1/2 tbsp cooking oil (use chicken fat for extra aroma)
1 tsp sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3-4 slices ginger
Pinch of turmeric powder
1 cup HOT water (200ml)
C (dipping sauce, mix all together):
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp grated garlic
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp oyster sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
Sup celery / cilantro
- Prick chicken with a fork and rub with salt, marinate for 30 minutes or longer.
- Heat oils in rice cooker, saute garlic and ginger till fragrant.
- Drain rice well, add into rice cooker. Stir-fry till all liquid evaporated.
- Add water and turmeric powder, mix well. Place marinated chicken over the rice, single layer.
- Close the lid and let it cook as if cooking plain rice.
- When cooked, wait for 10 minutes then open the lid. This is to allow the rice cook through with remaining heat, rice would not have hard centre.
- Remove chicken, chop up before serving.