Stir-Fried Rice Cake (Char Kuey Kak) / 炒粿角

Stir-fried Yam Cake

Weeks ago my dear hubby came back from a gathering with three containers of steamed yam cake. It was like four or five pieces in each container, my jaw dropped when I saw it. I like yam cake but have never eaten more then two pieces in one go, how can we digest three containers?! 

We had some fresh on the same day and kept the rest in the refrigerator. The next day, I cooked some char kuey kak (炒粿角)  for breakfast. Char kuey kak is one of hubby's favorite Penang food, he used to have it like five times in a week! His regular hawker food at the moment is Tom yam vermicelli with fried fish. Again, four to five times a week.  If we go to hawker center everyday, I think he will have it for seven straight days.

Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
300 g rice cake, cubed
1 tbsp chopped preserved radish
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp chili paste or sambal tumis
2 eggs

A handful spring onions or chive, chopped
2 tbsp cooking oil

Seasoning:
1 tbsp sweet, dark soy sauce (kicap manis)
1-2 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp fish sauce

Methods:
  1. Heat a wok, add in the oil. Add in dried radish and garlic, stir fry until fragrant then add in chili paste.
  2. Add in the cubed rice cake, stir fry on high heat for few seconds then add in seasonings (reserve 1 tsp)  and continue to stir until each cube is coated with sauce.
  3. Push the fried rice cake to a side, to make space for eggs. Add in a little bit of oil , crack in the eggs and break briefly then add in reserved seasonings. When the egg is almost set, stir fry everything together.
  4. Add in the salt to taste (if necessary) and spring onion, toss for a few seconds.
  5. Transfer to serving plates and serve warm.

Cook's note:
  1. Add in 1-2 handfuls of mung bean sprouts (in step 4) of desired.
  2. My version is slightly sweetened, it's the combination of Singapore and Penang version of char kuey kak.

Stir-fried Yam Cake

Comments

  1. Love it Lydia. Thanks for sharing. I am too lazy recently, hope to get back to my kitchen some times next week C;

    ReplyDelete
  2. 哇,
    真的想吃~


    元宵节快乐

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm..I absolutely love this dish, I haven't had this for so long I am beginning to miss it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! I love turnip cake more than the taro kind though ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cool blog :) come visit mine too at http://loversville.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)