5-Spice Fried Chicken Wings / 五香炸鸡翅


There are times when food brings back memories of the past. 5-spice fried chicken wing reminds me of my first few years of living in Singapore. I started living on my own at 18 after graduating high school, moved from a small town in Malaysia to big city. I had a full-time job during daytime hours and attended night school concurrently. Life was not easy for me, had to work hard to support myself. Rental, living expenses, school fees and pocket money for my parents. On the school off days, I often worked double shifts. Then, the reward for myself after a long day at work was an extra piece of superlicous 5-spice fried chicken wing for my take-out dinner, it was something luxury for me. 

Well, I seldom cook fried chicken at home as it is troublesome to discard the used oil. Thus, I always cook a large amount when I decided to cook fried chicken. I sometimes will also pre-fry the ingredients that need to be fried, for the next few days consumption. To save oil and time. There are many ways to fry the chicken wings, the most important is to marinate the chicken a day before for the flavors to penetrate. Last but not least, enjoy while it is still hot, the chicken is tender, juicy, and slightly crispy on the outside.
 
十八岁踏出社会开始了自给自足的生活,白天工作晚上上夜校,没课就加班。房租,生活费,学费,孝亲费。往往一整天的劳动后能给自己的奖励就是在经济饭盒里加个热腾腾香喷喷的炸鸡翅。虽然微不足道但对那时候的我而言是奢侈的一餐。五香炸鸡翅有我对曾经在新加坡打拼的日子的怀恋,有故事的东西永远是最好吃的!

我家平常很少炸鸡,但是一旦决定要炸鸡一定会大量生产。为什么?主要是炸东西的油不能重复用,处理废油又很麻烦。很多时候都会一次过把接下来几天要炸的食材预先炸好冷藏,省油省时。炸鸡翅必须腌隔夜才会入味,肉嫩多汁。开始下锅油温不要太高避免外焦里生,炸到差不多可以起锅时才提高油温逼出已吸收的油。趁热吃外酥里嫩,好吃呐。


5-Spice Fried Chicken Wings / 五香炸鸡翅

INGREDIENTS:
1 kg Chicken wings
Oil for deep frying 

Marinade:
3 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp Grated ginger
2 tbsp Chinese rice wine or sake
2 tbsp Light soy sauce
1 tsp Five-spice powder
½ tsp Ground white pepper
1 tsp Salt
2 tbsp All purpose flour
1 tbsp Corn starch

Methods:
  1. Put the chicken wings and all the marinade ingredients in a large ziplock bag. Give it a little massage then keep in the fridge overnight.
  2. Remove the chicken wings from the fridge 30 minutes before frying.
  3. Preheat the oil, deep fry the chicken wings in batches until golden brown.
  4. Serve warm.
Ume Matsuri / Plum Blossom
Spring event in Nara, Japan (13 Mar 2022)

Tried this recipe?
Tag @lydia.in.jp on Instagram.
欢迎到IG分享成品 标记@lydia.in.jp

Comments