In Japan, SPAM Onigiri (or musubi) is quite popular among the families with school age children. It is something quick and easy to make on the busy bento days. I first made this was like 10 years ago for my little boy's excursion. This is the original type/shape of the SPAM Onigiri originated from Okinawa, another popular type is the SPAM onigiri sandwich (rice sandwich) wrapped with seaweed. Have you tried it before?
SPAM Onigiri / SPAM午餐肉御饭团
Ingredients (Makes 8):
2 cups raw Japanese rice / 日本米
1 sheet nori seaweed / 寿司用海苔
1 can SPAM (20% salt reduced) / SPAM 午餐肉(减盐)
1 tbsp Sake / 料酒
1 tbsp Mirin / 味霖
1 tbsp Soy sauce / 酱油
- Cook the rice as usual. Then divide into 8 equal portions.
- Cut the seaweed into 8 strips.
- Make the onigiri as shown in the photos below.
Notes / 备注：
- You may also add a slice of omelet if desired.
- It is recommended to use the salt reduced SPAM otherwise it will be too salty.
- If you prefer a bigger rice ball, cook more rice!
Tried this recipe?
Tag @lydia.in.jp on Instagram OR share on My Kitchen FB Page
欢迎到脸书专页分享成品 或 IG请标记@lydia.in.jp