三杯鸡 / Three-Cup Chicken


What are you cooking mom? It smells so good! That's what the boys said when they came back from the school today. It is 三杯鸡,read as 'san bei ji' in Chinese... bla bla bla... I explained to them in the rojak language of Chinese, English and Japanese. Well, we had it for the lunch, together with stir-fried zucchini with mushroom, and the siu mai leftover from breakfast. Oh yes, the reddish color rice is cooked with rice-berry if you are wondering. 

The three-cup chicken is originally cooked with a cup of oil, a cup of soy sauce and a cup of cooking wine. The cup size is NOT the same as the baking measurement cup. In this case, the size of the "cup" used is depending on the amount of the chicken. If you cook more, please use a bigger cup. For healthy cooking, I have reduced the oil by half. Whenever I cook Chinese dishes like this, I like to add a small amount of the cooking wine and sesame oil towards the end of the cooking process for their aroma. 

If you have abundance of basil in your herb garden, give this recipe a try. It goes really well with steamed rice!


三杯鸡 / Three-Cup Chicken

Ingredients (4 servings):
600 g Chicken Thighs Meat, cut into chunks
2-3 cm Ginger, sliced
2 bulbs Shallot, sliced
4-5 cloves Garlic, crushed
2-3 Chilis, dried or fresh
Handful of Basil
1 tbsp Sugar

Corn Starch Solution
1 tbsp Water
½ tsp corn starch

The 3-cup
45 ml Cooking Wine (½  Shaoxing & ½ Sake)
45 ml Soy Sauces (15 ml Thick Soy Sauce + 30 ml Light Soy Sauce)
25 ml Sesame Oil

This is how I cook...

I am new to YouTube, please subscribe to my channel (Lydia_MyKitch3n) if you like it. Thank you!

Let me share my joys, the water lily from my little garden is blooming!

Comments