Jagaimo Manju (Stuffed Potato Bun)

Jagaimo Manju

Cooked this over the weekend, a simple Japanese dinner for my dearie. I cooked 3 side dishes - stuffed potato buns, yuba parcels and maki-zushi, and served with homemade pickles. No main. This bun was decided last minute, pretty easy to make actually... don't let the lengthy steps turn you off. I loved the firm texture and flavourful buns. Tak asked for extra sauce he ate it as soup and finished everything! FYI, the buns can be prepared in advance and steamed just before serving.

Ingredients (4 servings):

Potato Buns

  • 400g potatoes
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 egg white, lightly beaten
  • 3 tbsp cornstarch


Stuffing

  • 300g chicken breast meat, diced
  • 1 tbsp sake
  • 1 tbsp mirin
  • 2 tsp light soy sauce


Silver Sauce

  • 400ml dashi (bonito stock)
  • 2 tbsp light soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp mirin
  • 3 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 3 tbsp water
  • 1 tbsp fresh ginger juice
  • 2 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger (for garnish - optional)


Directions:

  1. Peel the potatoes, slice thickly, and boil with salt until tender. Drain and remove excess moisture.
  2. For the stuffing, boil all liquid in saucepan over high heat then stir in chicken. Stir until the chicken is done. Drain and set aside.
  3. Mash the potatoes, add in butter, 2/3 egg white and 1½ tbsp cornstarch. Mix well to form a firm dough. Divide the dough into 4 equal portions and flatten each portion slightly. Make a small hole in the center and fill it with some stuffing. Wrap it up to form a smooth bun. Dip potato buns in the remaining egg white, then coat with remaining cornstarch. Preheat the steamer over medium heat and steam the buns for 15 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, prepare the silver sauce. Combine dashi, soy sauce, mirin and salt in a saucepan. Bring to boil on high heat, then stir in cornstarch slowly to thicken it. Once it starts to boil, add in ginger juice and remove from heat.
  5. Assemble: Spoon some silver sauce over the steamed bun and top with grated ginger. Add some boiled vegetable if desire.

Note:

  1. The silver sauce can be used in agedashi doufu, the only different is the amber sauce for agadashi doufu calls for dark soy sauce.
  2. Stuffing can be subbed with seafoods or other meat.
  3. Potato can be subbed with pumpkin or taro.

Updated on 23 May 2007, this recipe is adapted from Practical Japanese Cooking.

Comments

  1. Anything with the words stuffed, potato and bun has my attention. Looks yummy! I hope you get the chance to write the recipe down soon.

    I really enjoy reading your thoughts and recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what is stuffed inside the potato or the bun? curious to find out....

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi emily... u like potato too? if so, im sure u'll like this one... will post the recipe tmr.

    tigerfish, give u a hint first... the bun is made from potato.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha....so it's like that. :D ...interesting. I can try next time.
    I thought you were really making potato bun- those loti that are always named "potato bun" ? lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lydia

    Thansk for sharing this recipe for WTSIM - I have sent you an e-mail in this regard. The buns sound super - just the kind of starchy comfort food I like ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lydia,
    I made this today but the buns turned out very soft. All the buns cracked open and gave me some smiling faces when I opened up the steamer cover!
    The buns were no longer in ball form after I moved them over to the bowls. :(

    I used the USA potato and i soaked it in the water before boiling.

    Can you tell me if I had choosen the wrong type of potato and shouldn't soak it in to water?

    Other than the soft texture of the buns, my family love this dish and everybody finished all include the soap. Bowl up at the end of the dinner!

    Regards,
    Wong

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Wong,

    Thanks for trying out this recipe. Sorry that I can't remember what potato I used, I think any potato will do.

    Possible reasons I could think of are:
    > Potatoes boiled for too long? It will absorb more water if boil for long.
    > Were potatoes cut into small pieces? It will also absorb more water.
    > Steamer was too hot? I found out my current steamer (c/w rice cooker) produces higer heat then my old one, and it is not good for steaming tofu or other dishes required low heat steaming.

    All the best if there is another attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Lydia!

    Now I know why my potato bun was soft. :)

    I am sure I will give this another try. Will also try out the yam version as I love yam also.

    I love your blog a lot!

    I have tried out few other dishes....all were well received by my family.

    Too bad I can only cook during weekend when I don't have to go to work.

    Thank you very much for sharing all the great recipes here!

    Regards,
    Wong

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)