Pulut Durian [Malaysian and Japanese Got Married]


Pulut Durian
This photograph has been submitted to DMLGIT (September 08), gallery is available here.
Durian again!! When a Malaysian married with a Japanese... born this sweet "sushi". Pulut durian (aka serawa durian) is actually one type of traditional Malaysian desserts -steamed glutinous rice served with fresh durian and coconut milk. Some people would have it with brown sugar syrup, but I had mine with 100% pure maple syrup... luxury!

Durian has a big family, and different species have different colour, texture and taste. You can see that even the shell is different, if you are a durian expert (I am not!!). Light yellow colour durian (in the photo) tasted sweeter than the other one. Or... maybe I should say it carries no liquor-like bitter taste that some durians have.
Recipe for the glutinous rice layer as follows (updated on 4 Dec 2009):

Ingredients (10-12 pcs):
1 cup glutinous rice, soaked for 3-4 hours
¾ cup water
¼ cup coconut milk
Pinch of salt

Directions:
  1. Drain the glutinous rice. Bring together rice, water and salt in a baking pan.
  2. Steam glutinous rice in a preheated steamer, over medium heat for about 15 minutes.
  3. Add in coconut milk and gently stir with a spatula to mix. Continue to steam for another 10 minutes.
  4. Turn the heat off, and leave the steamed glutinous rice in the steamer for 5 minutes or so.
  5. Set aside to cool. Then, shape into desired shape and top with durian or other fruits like mango and peach.
  6. Note: If stronger coconut taste is desired, adjust the ratio of coconut milk and water.
More durian recipes from My Kitchen:

Comments

  1. This looks amazing! Yes ... it looks like sushi ... so beautiful. Love your photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool idea. Lately I have been having durian overdose as I missed out on the last season's.

    Have something for you. http://preciousmoments66.blogspot.com/2008/08/this-is-long-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I 've only seen durian with glutinous rice before in Thai desserts. Now I know there can be a Japanese sushi dessert too! :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. noobcook: thanks for compliments.

    precious moments: I missed out last 3 seasons! You can guess how much I eat this season...:D Thanks for the award.

    tigerfish: Malaysian also have similar dessert, malay dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi there....

    just wanna say, I think you have a very nice touch, kinda jap-m'sia fusion cuisine. keep experimenting....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Justin,

    Thanks for your compliments, will keep experimenting.

    cheers,
    Lyd

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, it looks delicious would you be able to post a recipe and the directions for making your durian sushi? thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lidia, love the sushi look can you post the recipe and directions please. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anonymous and Lochy,

    Recipe is updated. Have fun making your durian sushi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Durian, and I like Pulut Durian very much. This is our traditional dessert too (Indonesia), exacly from Riau. I think our culture (Riau & Malaysia) almost same.

    Btw, may I add ur link to my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Selly,
    Malay in Malaysia were from Indonesia so we have similar culture.
    Sure, you may add my blog anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. totally agree with you Anonymous (above my post) even words and meaning are the same but just different with pronunciation...

    ReplyDelete
  13. whoa!!!, you had a passion in blogging, thumbs up for your work of love.. Hehe very inspiring ideas,


    anyway I'm william
    mind if I put a link back to you?


    (clickable) ------> Tuxedos Suits

    ReplyDelete
  14. Japanese and Malaysian food combination is really awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)