Chapatti Sandwich Roll

Chapatti Sandwich Roll

Have not had this type of sandwich for long. We used to have sandwich rolls made with Lebanese bread often when we were in Sydney. T loved to have veges sandwich for his lunch box, something similar to what I made for lunch yesterday. As we ate, we talked about our life in Sydney... it brought back those sweet moments we spent together. Life was not as good as now, but it was those days that brought our hearts closer. Sydney, how we missed you!

Chapatti is usually served together with vegetable or meat curry as staple meal for North Indians. I used to serve it that way too, but now I prefer to have chapatti sandwich. I liked the slightly crusty outside (bread) and crunchy veges inside with the kick of mustard.

Mama's Talk: I thought this bread would be a bit too hard for my 15 month-old boy so I prepared egg sandwiches with normal loaf for him, along with some halved grape tomatoes and pitted black olive. Suprised to see him gobbled up grape tomatoes and olives one after another. I am glad that he ate them, was expecting him to spit out after tasting.

Chapatti Sandwich Roll

It is so easy to make chapatti at home, and it can be served in many ways such as:

  • Serve with curry
  • Make into sandwiches
  • Serve with salsa (instead of corn chips)

Chapatti

Ingredients (makes 6):

1 cup atta flour
½ tbsp cooking oil
Enough water to make dough
1 tsp sugar (optional)
Pinch of salt

Methods:
  1. In a large mixing bowl, bring together all ingredients with fingers then knead to form soft dough.
  2. Divide and shape dough into 6 small balls. Cover with damp cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes or so.
  3. On lightly floured surface, roll out each ball into 15cm circle.
  4. Shake off excess flour, cook in preheated non-stick pan with low heat. When the colour has changed slightly, turn it over.
  5. When brown blisters are formed and some parts started to balloon up, use a potato masher or anything is available to press the bread on and off so the bread will be cooked evenly and balloon up nicely.
  6. Transfer ballooned chapatti onto rack, serve warm.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I'm going to try making this. My two girls love any kind of roti from roti canai to naan. Do you think you'll return to Sydney to live?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know that it is so simple to make chappati. Thanks for the recipe. Now I can make chappati at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following your blog for a while now and it's the first time I posted a comment. I absolutely love to read your cooking blog! :) I have a 16 month old son who's skinny as a stick. Your baby is so cute and chubby (and happy too). Can u post some comments on what food to cook (to increase baby's appetite?)I must admit, my son's a little picky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charming,
    Thanks for dropped by. We have no plan moving to Sydney at the moment, but it is possible to move there in the future.

    soo sean,
    You are welcome. I make this bread at home quite often.


    Kathleen,
    I give my boy table food now, he eats whatever we eat and he likes it. I guess he likes to eat like his mom. :D

    Some tips I am practising with my boy (John):

    >Taste the food first before giving to John, if I don't like it I will not give it to him.

    >Show him we are eating the same food. Sometimes he didn't want it, I fed papa and papa showed him yummy face.

    >Prepare something that he can hold and feed himself. He tend to sit down and finish up his meal.

    >Let him feed himself (holding his hand) with spoon sometimes, John loves it. This also good for practising his self-help skill.

    >Giving him wide variety of food and fruits. Of course, must be suitable for his age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i tried the recipe, but i was just wondering because i don't know how to measure 1 cup of flour and wasn't sure about"low heat ". but all in all the taste is great for a first timer.
    your recipes are really easy to follow. Thank you for the time taken to share.
    cloudy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cloudy,

    When using a measuring cup for flour, try to loosen the packet first. Then, scoop flour with measuring cup or use a spoon to scoop and fill the measuring cup without tapping the cup to pack more in (we tend to do that).

    After that, use a knife or spatula to sweep off excess flour. By the way, 1 cup of flour is 125g. If scoop directly from the packet (flour not as loose as using spoon), it will be more 10 to 15g more.

    Most cookers have the heat indicator, low, medium and high. When I use low heat, is the smallest flame plus a little bit extra, when put my palm near to the surface I can feel the heat. BUT, this is also depend on your cooker and size of the burner. Not sure if this help. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you very much. You explained it clearly. Now I am going to practice and start putting away the cooking books. Take care.
    cloudy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)