Quiche/法式咸派/キッシュ

Quiche

Finally, I baked a big quiche with this pie pan I bought awhile ago. Always wanted to use it for quiche but considering only three of us in the family (well, it is actually two and a-half) , baking a big quiche is never a good idea. Don't care! I want to have a beautiful looking quiche this time.

Quiche is one of my favourite dishes to cook, it is quick and easy. Best part, less washing after cooking. John tasted it for the first time, I was worry he might not like the cheesy taste and some fillings in it but he finished 97% of his meal! I will cook it more often from now on.

Quiche
I made my quiche with basic flaky pie crust, it can be spiced up with your favourite spices. Filling wise, I usually cooked it with either bacon or ham but tried it with pork ball this time. It was good too in term of texture and taste. Perhaps I will use more Asian ingredients in quiche in the future, char siew quiche anyone?

Ingredients (9"):
Pastry:
1¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup cold butter, diced
¼ cup icy cold water
¼ tsp salt
Pepper and other seasoning to taste

Fillings:
6 eggs
1 cup full cream milk
Salt and Pepper

2 tbsp butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small broccoli, chopped (about 1 heap cup after chopped)
4-5 pork balls, sliced thinly (or bacon / ham)
1 small tomato, sliced (I forgot to put it!!!)
Some prawn, peeled (optional)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

¼ cup cheddar cheese
¼ cup mozzarella cheese
Methods:
  1. Pastry: In a large mixing bowl, bring together all dry ingredients and mix well.
  2. Rub in cold butter with fingers or use a pastry cutter.
  3. Slowly add in cold water, and work gentle to form a ball. Cover and rest in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
  4. Roll out and fit it into pie pan, prick bottom with fork if desired.
  5. Filling: Heat pan, melt butter and saute onion until soften. Stir in garlic, sliced pork balls and broccoli, cook for 1-2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
  6. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs lightly then stir in milk, parsley, salt and pepper to taste.
  7. Assemble: Transfer cooked filling into prepared pie pan, and scatter prawn and cheese on top. Fill in egg mixture and top with tomato slices (if any).
  8. Bake in preheated oven, at 175ºC for 40-45 minutes or until egg is set.
Quiche

Comments

  1. oh this looks good Lydia! beautiful photos too. 6 eggs is a lot isnt it?...thats why I never get around to making quiche..too much cholesterol..but for blogs sake maybe I will one day...heh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had this before.. but it looks pretty good! Loving the amount of cheese in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks soo.... good. I've never made a quiche and your recipe looks easy enought to give it a try. ThankQ for sharing. Might have this for weekend dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. zurin,
    6 eggs is actually not a lot as 1 x 9" quiche is 6-8 servings. so each person will consume 1 or less than 1 egg.

    Joanne,
    I would say it is more like an omelette pie than a pizza. Do you like pizza? Will post a "pizza" recipe soon.

    tracieMoo,
    If you like cheese, can add more. I saw some recipes called for 2 cups of cheese!

    iml,
    welcome to My Kitchen and thanks for the compliment. By the way, you can scaled down the recipe and make small one or even tart size quiche if you wish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi lydia, it's such a nice quiche,can I link you to my blog ? I saw you at the Y3k magazine,good cooking! I still need to learn a lot from you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your quiche looks great. Last time I purposely bought a pie pan for baking quiche too..hehe~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like pizza and I have just eaten it for my dinner. Hehe.

    I have saw your latest post. Will leave my comment there later.

    By the way, I have an award for you
    http://samydy.blogspot.com/2009/07/lovely-blog-award-best-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, lovely dish. Can I use chicken or meat instead for the filling?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous, I think you can use small amount of minced meat.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day ☆彡
(Comment with an ads link will be deleted.)